Monday, April 20, 2009

Controlling Everything: OS X Screen Sharing & Remote Control


Screen Sharing
One of the coolest things you can do In Leopard 10.5 is screen sharing. basically I can control all my macs from my one laptop (my MacBook Pro). I commonly use my QuadCore Mac Pro to do a lot of my encoding. Screen sharing makes this easy for me to do right in my living room as My Mac Pro is out in my studio and would take sometime getting to. Transferring the finished encodes to the Mac Mini can be done via screen sharing aswell. Controlling anything involved with the Mac Mini. Even controlling Plex. Anyway.. on the mac(s) you want to control, enable screen sharing by going into System Preferences->Sharing and check on screen sharing. Back on the computer you will be controlling, open the finder and under Shared you will see your other Mac(s), select and choose to "share screen".

Controlling Plex and/or the mini with my iPhone.
I decided to use and iphone app called Air Mouse. Check it out for yourself, its very easy to setup and use. I can control Plex and the Mac Mini right from my chair.

1 comment:

  1. If you can afford it - go for the Logitech DiNovo Mini Keyboard. I use it for my mac mini Media Center and it's absolutley perfect for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete